11.24.2008

Overnight

So...last Saturday I worked an overnight. Boy, those are interesting. Obviously around 2 o'clock, we get pretty busy, however that is not usually when the funniest people come about. By 2, everyone is so drunk and trying to be so careful and quick so as not to get in trouble that they are not really amusing. It's those that come before and after; the ones who are too drunk to stay at the bar till 2 or are too wasted at 2 to drive home.

This past Saturday I had some surprising groups--a truck with 3 people who were not college students, but rather in their late 20s early 30s. Listening to them order was hilarious, 1 girl who was obviously a very vocal belligerent drunk was screaming about how she wanted a double cheeseburger, "make sure you got my double cheeseburger!" over and over again. Also insisting she was not an alcoholic, to which I responded, "I'm not here to judge."

Then as the night went on, it was breakfast time, this is when I start to get groggy and boring. Well, one girl looked like she had walked all the way to McDonalds in the pouring rain, got in some car when she got to our parking lot and then ordered. Poor girl had mascara and makeup all over her face, she was trashed and could barely order. Shortly after this is when all the hunters come in their camo get ups and dragging a long their sons to come camping with them. It's pretty cute actually. Lastly, some rude old man comes through--after interrupting me on the speaker and being pretty much all around rude he comes up to the window, "good morni--" i try to say, until he interrupts me and says "ya, ya, ya..." throws his money at me, tells me to keep the pennies and drives away.

People are so great.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That story about the old man and the pennies hit way too close to home. I've worked a lot of overnights and you see some strange things.

I think people are even less considerate of people working overnights due to drinking/it being the middle of the night/too early in the morning.

Then again, it goes both ways because I'm not that friendly at 6 a.m. either!

The_Laur said...

Well, at least I know I am not alone. I mean, I'm not a happy camper in the morning either but I still give an honest effort to be kind to people. But at least I know there is someone else on my side.

Anonymous said...

OMG that is such a funny post! I bet you see all sorts of hilarious things working those hours at McDs. I won't lie I am sure I have been one of those annoying carloads around 3 in the morning! It probably gets so annoying and I always feel bad for those people who are subjected to the belligerent drunks at 3 in the morning.

The_Laur said...

Haha-I don't think they're annoying...they keep my night interesting and going quickly. Next time I work an overnight though I will have to give you a hard time haha :-)